Monday, January 7, 2008

Anno Domini 2008

A lot has taken place in the last 2 weeks! Here's a glimpse of what Christmas morning was like at my house:

4AM
(Kaed whispering to Leah and I, standing in the doorway) (and he can barely see because he just woke up) "Is it time yet to open presents?"
(Andy, who is used to being up this early with Dash) "No, it's dark out and Santa may not have come yet. That's why we open presents when the sun comes out."
(Kaed) "He came. There are some new presents out there."
(Andy, struggling to find an answer because Kaed is right) . . .
(Leah, irritated, sleep-deprived) "Go to bed."

5Am
(Kaed, now completely awake because he never did go back to sleep) "Is it time yet?"
(Leah and Andy simultaneously answer in a loud whisper) "NO."

Kids. We were all up by about 6:30 so we opened presents and then headed up to my folks. At about 10 it started snowing and kept on throughout the day. Very nice. All in all, my 2 week Christmas break can be summed up in one word: Legos. It began with my mom getting all our old legos out for Kaed to play with. Then we just started to build all our old things. I'm kind of a Lego geek so I took the two big tubs of legos and started organizing them by color. A daunting task to be sure; mom helped. Then Santa got Kaed a Lego StarWars spaceship (Boba Fett's - really cool) and Nick got the complete saga StarWars Legos video game (Wii) for me - it's excellent. My fingertips are raw and my eyes have trouble focusing (I swear it's not because I'm 30), but that's what has consumed my time lately. And I love it.

Leah has a new hobby thanks to Jessica Seinfield: puree'-ing. I've had scrambled eggs with cauliflower, pancakes with squash, meatloaf with who knows what, and I'm pretty sure she snuck something into the last batch of cookies, but she won't say. Every meal is a mystery now. It's been pretty good so far though.

Here's the latest in Kaed and Dash's developments: Kaed's latest excuse for not doing something is "but I can't even read". If it were someone else's kid, it'd probably be funny to hear that from a 6 year old. For example, "Kaed, you deleted my StarWars Lego game that took me 2 days to do!"
"I don't know what I did, I can't even read." That exchange actually did happen, but he did feel bad about it - because he can relate to video game frustrations. In fact he offered me money to make me feel better. No lie. So I took 5 bucks and told him not to do it again. Hey, he's gotta learn. Just kidding.
I took 10.

If you can get Dash to look you in the face when you're holding him, he might give you a kiss. It's very sweet and slobbery and open-mouthed. I told Leah he'll be rounding first with the little girls in no time. I also gave him his first shower. Wow. The pure joy and delight he had being under the streams was baby ecstasy. He shrieked and giggled thw whole time. And I'm pretty sure he peed on me.

For New Year's eve, Leah and I left the boys at my folks overnight (first time with Dash) and went to Portland to a fondue restaurant called the Melting Pot. Overall, it was a good meal. The best part was the dessert where we had a banana-Foster's-white chocolate dip that we dipped fruit and cakes into. I just have trouble buying into any meal that costs 75 bucks and the best part is centered around a rice crispy treat. It doesn't make much sense to me, but apparently I'm unsophisticated. I also drink wine like I'm thirsty. Apparently that too is unsophisticated.
Hope your holiday was great.

No comments: