Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Uh.... WHAT?!

This week I'm at AP Statistics training in Vancouver. This is because I'm teaching it next year for the first time. I'm sort of pumped, although I haven't done any official stats since college - which is now 11 years ago (gulp). So I get training from stat pros, and other math teachers from all over the place sit with me.
Ever feel like the dumbest person in the room?
I did yesterday. Bunch of math nerds. Today, however, I am king nerd! We talked about things right in my wheelhouse... We'll see how tomorrow goes.
Us Lemiere boys have done pretty well in math to this point. It is a source of pride to me. There is a positive correlation between level of math taken and overall academic achievement (how's that for a statistical statement - it's true btw). Of the 3 of us kids, I probably am the weakest in math, though I teach it. Nick and Eric are exceptional at it, if I may boast. I think it's like diarhea for us - it runs in our genes. Hey-O! Good luck Dash and Levi.
A lot of the math I know is not applicable to everyday life (trivial pursuit knowledge I like to call it) but I've been happily suprised at what I have been able to use. A lot more than I would have thought. I like knowing stuff even if it's "useless" bc sometimes it has use.

I am not/was not good at English in school. Reading and writing...ugh. I think my english teachers looked at me and said, "Well. . . he works pretty hard and his papers make me laugh (either because they're creative or their sooo bad). Here's a B." And if that's the case, then thanks Mrs. Delong, Mrs. Dearing, Mr. Waite, Ms. Miner, Ms. Cooper, Mr. Wheeler (jr/hi school), Mr. Clark, Mr. Alkazin (LCC), and that cute-in-a-liberal-arts-kind-of-way teacher from Texas I had twice at Concordia.
In an unrelated story, I finally felt like I got good at English while at Concordia. I don't know what I'm trying to say, but that's a fact Jack.

Wasn't that good at art either. Or penmanship, back in the day.

Have a good day.

No comments: