Wednesday, February 24, 2010

More odds and ends

1. Growing up, I was allowed to listen to 4 of my parents albums (as in record albums). The Eagles, Chicago, Doobie Brothers, etc. were off limits. The fab 4 I was allowed to peruse were: a Beach Boys live album, The Best of Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond: Gold, and the Grease soundtrack... In some ways, I find the Grease soundtrack a little ironic. I wasn't allowed to listen to the other albums because they were too "ris-que'", but now that I'm a grown-up (I am right?) I see that Grease had some very objectionable content. From the song "Go Grease Lightning" the refer to their car as "a real p***y-wagon". The following conversation may or may not have actually occurred with my dad:
Me: "Dad, what's a p***y wagon?"
Dad: "A car that purrs like a kitten."
Me: "Oh."

2. Since Christmas, I've read 6 of the 7 Harry Potter books. Six books in two months sounds impressive, but they're supposed to be for kids (Just a shade under the Twilight reading levels for all you vamp geeks - and no, I've not read them). The first couple are definitely for kids, but the further you go, the more intense they get. Same for the movies too. Keep that in mind parents. (*side note*) Ever had one of those dreams where you are dreaming and awake at the same time? I do. Last night I dreamt I was Harry Potter and I was explaining my anger/frustration to Dumbledore, Moody and Lupin. I knew I was dreaming because I was awake and talking out loud - I even looked at my clock to see what time it was (4:07) - and kept on talking away until I fell asleep. Weird. I think the cheese is sliding off my cracker...

3. Yesterday, Dash, Kaed, and I were home being sick. I hate being sick, but a day home with both the boys is always good. It doesn't happen too often anymore.

4. What do Greg Oden, Joel Pryzbilla and I have in common? . . . We've all had issues with our patellas. It was on the tip of your tongue right? I broke mine when I was 12. It's a knee cap, btw. I did it on a slip-n-slide at my house (brought up by Tammy and Duane Sanchez). That's our best guess anyway. It didn't break, or I should say that I didn't have any problems until 2 days later. It was a Tuesday, last full day of school in 6th grade. Play day. I was doing the 50 yard dash against Amy Oldis. It was close. Then WHAM!, my knee locked up and wouldn't bend and I toppled over. Split my knee cap. Ended my baseball season - All-stars was about to start and I had finally made it as a catcher... Two things stemmed from that injury: 1. I never played baseball after that year and got into Track (which was the right move because I wasn't really that good of a hitter - I looked silly swinging at curveballs), 2., Jeff Bailey was the other catcher for that All-star team and he played a ton that summer. He plays for the Boston Red Sox now. You're welcome Jeff... Just sayin'. :)

5. I turn 33 next month. Kareem. Bird. Canseco. Dorsett. Pippen. Patrick Roy. Grant Hill. Spahn. All 33's. I have never felt, looked or felt older than I do right now...

6. For the past couple weeks Dash and I have slept in the same bed. This normally happens every once and awhile, but lately it's been always. He'll usually come crawling in during the middle of the night, but I've gone and crawled in with him too... I've mentioned that we both have twin beds right? In the long-term it's not a good idea to be doing this, but for now, I love it. Dash has been my lifeboat in the last year, no doubt. I might even go so far as to say he's saved my life once or twice.

7. I made a Trapper-Keeper reference in class yesterday and I got a bunch of blank stares... Not one of my students knew what the heck I was talking about. Crap.

8 comments:

Eric Lemiere said...

You can add last year's #1 overall NBA draft pick, Blake Griffin to your patella list.
You can also add Shaquille O'neal to your list of 33s.
Chris Farley died at 33.

Jennifer said...

So did Jesus Christ (died at 33, I mean. I have no idea if he broke his patella). Just sayin'.

Me..... said...

I loved TRAPPER KEEPERS!!
I have been tempted to start reading the Harry Potter books... Twilight- I have read.
I will be 33 next month too... and I will be in KELSO!

Me..... said...

oh, and Greece should definitely have been on the list of inappropriate. :)

Me..... said...

*Grease
Glad you teach math and not spelling. :)

Andy said...

I will add Blake Griffin.
Shaq is #33 for the first time this year (unless you count LSU: Zo' had 33 in Miami, retired Kareem was 33 in LA)
I plan on outliving Hay-zeus, in the physical sense.
I always felt Trapper Keepers didn't have enough velcro.
I like to cook my eggs in bacon Greece.

Unknown said...

I was a 33 in basketball...& I hear ya on the "feeling & looking" part...arrrrg! The great thing about having a girl, all she wants to do is dance to 'Grease', she doesn't get any of it yet. The beauty of being 6!

Samantha M. said...

do you still play name that tune on slow days in class? i loved those days.. tho i was rarely correct!