Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Weekend Thoughts

1. "Happy Balentimes day Daddy Wahmere." You too buddy.

2. Oh Canada is my 3rd favorite National Anthem behind USA's and communist Russia. I love the words too, though I have no idea what USSR's are (why do I like USSR's #2? It's a very manly sounding song. Blame the Hunt for Red October.) (after a quick google search, I don't like the Soviet lyrics)

3. The Luge is a crazy sport (though I'd hardly call "how flat can you lay on this sled?" a sport - maybe that's just my ignorance). Extremely unfortunate that one luger died. I know there's risk involved with anything, but I actually think the Olympic Games Committee handled it pretty well. And from what it sounds, I may be in the minority. Now, I don't know if that metal beam he ran into would have still killed him had it been padded, but I do know that in a battle between an unprotected human vs a stationary metal beam (padded or not)... it won't end well for the human. The Games Committee ruled that the course was not at fault, but moved the starting area down the track. Many saw that as a concession of fault - otherwise why move the starting area, right? Well, a man died. If the Committee did nothing, they would have been ripped apart for not doing anything. It's lose-lose at this point for the Committee, but I at least applaud the move on their part - even if it was for appearance (not the track's fault).

4. As a whole, I have never been real concerned with the Winter Games. Not that I don't appreciate their skills or efforts. I've just never been a "winter sports" guy. I've snowboarded thrice. It was fun. Basketball was my winter sport (and spring/summer). I was too young to understand the significance of 1980's Miracle on Ice - so there's never been a real Winter Olympics definining moment for me. The Summer Olympics is the only real Olympics for me.

5. I may or may not be training for the next Summer Olympics in . . . table tennis. I have 2 tables in my basement now. And my Christmas star has become a chandelier. So awesome...

3 comments:

Me..... said...

I like the summer Olympics better too... but speed skating is fun to watch.. and snowboarding... even though I would not try either! :)

Unknown said...

I would! strap me to anything and let her rip! Summer or Winter, love watching the athletes.

Hey! your video is in limbo...what up?!?

Andy said...

"strap me to anything and let her rip!".... Geez Jen....it's a family blog.