Tuesday, March 9, 2010

High School Fashionista

Allow me a mini-rant on high school fashion. I already know that this will make me sound old so save the remarks.
Every generation of students has their own "cool" things they'd wear or do to make themselves look good - that would probably get you laughed out of your friend's house if you tried to pull it off today. For people my age you can probably relate to pegged jeans, Hammer pants, mesh football jerseys, neon, hyercolor, and wearing your baseball hat half-way atop your head (but still styling your hair). Totally sweet at the time, but now . . .
Today's youth is no different. I see kids all the time trying to take today's fashion trends and make them their own. But in trying to look unique and original (they try so hard sometimes) they end up looking like everybody else. Too bad they won't realize this for another 15 years. Here's a few examples of some odd fashion statements I've seen walking the halls at KHS:
1. guys and girls have taken the "high-rise baseball hat" look from my era and morphed it into stocking hats. They fix their hair and then loosely attatch the cap on the back-half of their heads. I find this very funny. They looke like one of the 7 dwarves - Dopey to be exact.
2. I've mostly seen this with guys - scarves are all the rage these days, but some fellas want to wear them around their necks like a Christmas wreath. It doesn't even touch their necks! This usually cancels out their v-neck shirts. Also very funny.
3. Tight pants are back. Which is good for some, and a very bad idea for others. I'm afraid for some folks wearing tight pants has a "muffin-top" affect.

I know there's more but those are the blatant ones that stick out to my eyes.

6 comments:

Me..... said...

my girls beg for skinny jeans now!
I think the other trend is wearing slippers to school... have you noticed that one?

Andy said...

Not really. But Vans are wildly popular with boys and girls.

Me..... said...

Yes! My sisters kids love Vans.

Unknown said...

i happen to love my muffin-top...it goes very well with my morning cup of coffee.

Jennifer said...

I'm 35 years old and I am amazed at how many girls in high school have muffin tops! There were maybe a couple when I was in HS. I had to have a baby to earn a muffin top, and then it was smaller than some girls I see who are 13 or 14. I feel so sorry for those girls.

Andy said...

I know. You should have to earn your muffin top.