Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Christian Music

Last night I went to a Night of Worship featuring Phil Wickham, Leeland, and Matt Maher. It was excellent. All three bands were excellent. Lyrics were excellent. I was very impressed. I'd heard some Phil Wickham prior to the evening (we do some of his songs at church) but I hadn't heard the other 2. I think Matt Maher was my favorite, though his set was the shortest. Come to find out, he wrote Your Grace Is Enough and As Is It In Heaven. I bought 2 of his cd's and i personally think that his album Alive Again is outstanding. Again, nice work by all three groups.

The lyrics to PW's True Love have always moved my heart and will continue to do so. It simply speaks of God's sacrifice for our sake broke His heart "the day that True Love died". It's awesome to me that instead of calling His son Jesus, he uses the term True Love. Appropriate. Kind of like the way Don McLean uses "the day the music died" in American Pie, but not nearly as meaningful. The day the music died was a sad day. The day that True Love died was sad, and beautiful and gives reason to hope. He came back you know.

The Earth was shaking in the dark
All Creation felt the Father's broken heart
Tears were filling Heaven's eyes
The day that True Love died, the day that True Love died
When blood and water hit the ground
Walls we couldn't move came crashing down
We were free and made alive
The day that True Love died, the day that True Love died

Which reminds me: when I picked up Dash from Sunday school this weekend he came running up to me and yelled, "hey daddy, Jeethuth ith awive!" (Jesus is alive - the boy lisps sometimes). He's been telling people that ever since. In fact, he asked me if we could call unlce Eric and uncle Nick to tell them that. I love Sunday school. I swear he has an innocent understanding of who Christ is that makes more sense to people than anything I could come up with.

The bridge to PW's Beautiful is pretty cool too - musically and lyrically:

When we arrive on Eternity's shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We'll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your Bride will enter in and we'll sing
You're beautiful

I look forward to learning the lyrics to some Leeland and Matt Maher songs. I already love Christ Is Risen and Hold Us Together! I wish I was a writer. I'd be a lot cooler I think.

4 comments:

Me..... said...

I wish I was a drummer.

Me..... said...

Aren't you glad that Amy Grant and Sandy Patty aren't our only options for Christian music these days?!

My name is Amber. said...

Oh man, that story about Dash wanting to call his uncles to tell them about Jesus being alive makes me cry... in a wonderful way :) that kid teaches us so much every moment that we are with him.

Andy said...

I know. Sometimes the pupil becomes the teacher. And I love it. "Cheezuz ith awive daddy"