Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Students

Some comments on my students this year...
  • I love it when I see kids get dropped off in the morning, but because they have just gotten their driver's permit/license they get to drive the minivan. It takes me back to our old brown wood-paneled Oldsmobile station-wagon that was totalled twice while I was at the wheel.
  • I have a freshman girl who has a huuuuge lisp. It'th ridiculouth. She's a real sweet girl.
  • I have a freshman boy named Jack Hunter and whenever I can I call him "Jack Hunter: Man's Man" in my deepest announcer voice ("Here's to you..."). Or I insert his name in Chuck Norris jokes.
  • I have a set of twins (but in different periods) and they are IDENTICAL. I'm sure they could switch and swap at any time and I'd never know it.
  • I love (for now) teaching seniors. They're starting to get comfortable, a little, with who they are. They're cool. And they're definitely not as ackward or uncool as Freshmen(but I love that about them).
  • I am overwhelmed by the number of students whose parent(s) went to school with me! I COULD BE THEIR DAD'S! NOOOOOO..... I am way too young for that. I'm not sure when or how people like Kim Pfal, Keith Dyer, Cherokee Groat, Sarah Johnston, Chad Osborn, etc. got so old so quickly, yet I have remained... (who am I fooling)

On my way home last night, an old familiar Blues Traveler song came on the radio that I hadn't heard in years. It was "Hook". And guess what? I still knew 98% of the lyrics. Remember that part where it goes into "Suck it in - Suck it in - Suck it in if you're Rin Tin Tin or Ann Boylen..."? I nailed it. It was almost as though someone was speaking it for me because I didn't know what lyric was next but it kept flowing out. Like I was speaking in tongues in the language of John Popper. Now I know what Bunny Rabbit feels like.

4 comments:

Me..... said...

do all of those people that you named have kids in your class??

Andy said...

And Erika Tollefson. I forgot her

Carlianne said...

I know what song you're talking about. But I don't really know the lyrics. But that part that you mentioned, I do know the first few words. Then I just kinda mumble the rest. "Suck in, suck it in and a rin tin tin asdkjfjwohasjvnaw..."

Emily said...

Make a desperate move or else you'll win and then begin to see what you're doing to me this mtv is not for free it's so pc it's killing me...

I am overwhelmed by nostalgia. This reminds me of riding the bus to track meets... back when we had Walkmans. Speaking of old...